Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Yarns 5 thru 13

Hello every one!  Hope you are all doing well.  Today I will focus on the next few yarns, stitches, and the method of increasing and decreasing for your next stitches.


The Math!
I mentioned before that I have 175 running stitches.  What I meant by that is, generally speaking the afghan will have 175 stitches on it.  Sometimes increasing or decreasing is needed in order to make an upcoming stitch work out.  So I will try to explain how to do it now.  If you are already familiar with how to do this, feel free to skip past this part. 
Often times when choosing a new pattern you will see something like this  (multiple of 10 + 3)  the multiple is referring the amount of stitches you will be repeating in order to knit the pattern.  The number after + usually centers the pattern, or acts as a natural border. 
Say I have 175 stitches, and I need to increase or decrease in order work a stitch that is a (multiple of 10 + 3).  To work this out I start by dividing 175 by 10 the answer is 17.  I then multiply 17 by 10 which equals 170 then I add 3 to this total giving me 173.  Since I have 175 stitches on the needle.. I would dec 2 stitches in the first round of the next color.
A special note:  There are other factors you may consider when deciding whether to round the stitches up or down.  If you are using a thicker yarn for the stitch you should decrease instead of increasing.. If you are using a thinner yarn try increasing.  if you are making a rib, or working cables increase you stitches, because ribbing and make cables will naturally pull your work in.  If you have any problems, just email me.  I can help you with the math.

Yarn 5  Smooth texture
Diagonal purl (multiple of 6 + 1)  Top yarn in above photo
I had 175 stitches   174 is a multiple of 6... I add 1 so I needed 175
I will tell you how many stitches I used for each stitch here on out.
Row 1: *Purl 1, Knit 5.  Repeat from * across. End with a Purl 1 (RS)
Row 2: *Purl 5, Knit 1.  Repeat from * across. End with a P1
Row 3: Knit 2, *Purl 1, Knit 5.  Repeat from * across ending with Purl 1, Knit 4.
Row 4: Purl 3, *Knit 1, Purl 5. Repeat from * across ending with Knit 1, Purl 3.
Row 5:  Knit 4, *Purl 1, Knit 5. Repeat from * across ending with Purl 1, Knit 2.
Row 6:  Purl 1, *Knit 1, Purl 5. Repeat from * across.
Repeat rows 1 through 6 for desired length.

Yarn 6 
1 fun fur strand (Lion Brand), and 1 strand of arabesque (Trendsetter) held together
I stayed at 175 stitches.
I ended with my RS facing me, so I knit my first row.. then I did another knit row (Reverse Stockinette).
Reverse Stockinette really give textured yarns a nice pop in this project.  Typically I only do a couple of rows when doing anything furry.

Yarn 7:
Selene (Anny Blatt)
175 stitches
Stockinette stitch

Yarn 8:
Seduce doubled
175 stitches
Stockinette Stitch

Yarn 9:
Intermezzo (Trendsetter Yarns)
175 stitches
This is a very interesting yarn that can create a fun ruffle.  It has holes on one side.  I stuck the needle straight through the hole, while knitting the last row of seduce.  I skipped two holes for every single stitch, otaining this fun ruffle.


 Yarn 10:
Big Baby  it is Alpaca can remember the manufacturer
A wide rib  (multiple of 16 + 10)   I decrease 5 leaving me with 170
Row 1: *Purl 10, Knit 6. Repeat from * ending with Purl 10 (RS)
Row 2:  *Knit 10, Purl 6. Repeat from * ending with Knit 10
Repeat rows 1 and 2 for desired length.

Yarn 11:
Slightly Textured
Increase to 175
Seed Stitch

Yarn 12
Smooth
Two rows Reverse Stockinette

Yarn 13
Handspun?  (Ozark)
175
Stockinette

Yarn 14
Mohair ruffle
Okay, this one took a very long time!   I made a ruffle seperately on o size 5 needle then attached it by knitting it on to the afghan.  It was 700 stitches.. after knitting an 1 1/2" on the size five I decreased across then after a couple more rows I decreased again.  Then I took a very thin yarn called Muget(Anny Blatt)
and Knit it to the blanket with the muget.


We will get to the next several yarns in the coming week!

No comments:

Post a Comment